Dr. Vivek Jacob Philip is a consultant Neurologist in our Department of Neurology. He comes with a vast experience in neurology having completed over 10 years in practice.
Dr Vivek is a familiar face in the Cayman Islands having done multiple stints as a visiting/locum neurologist since the inception of the department of Neurology in 2016.
Dr Vivek completed his specialty training in neurology in 2011 after which he worked in Bangalore, India as a Consultant Neurologist in Narayana Health, one of the largest and most prestigious chain of multi-specialty hospitals in India and the parent company of Health City.
Prior to doing his specialization in neurology, Dr Vivek completed his MBBS and MD in Internal Medicine at Christian Medical College, a premier medical institute in India. He also spent 4 years serving patients in rural India prior to undertaking his specialization in neurology.
In his previous role he was involved in a busy neurology practice in Bangalore India. He was part of a team of over 10 neurologist, resident doctors and had a busy outpatient and inpatient practice. He was involved managing Daily Out Patient Neurology Clinics, critical care and emergency patients. He has experience in a wide spectrum of neurological ailments which include strokes, epilepsy, seizure disorders, Multiple Sclerosis, dementia, neuromuscular junction disorders, nerve and muscle disorders and neuro critical care.
Dr Vivek has a vast experience in running a neurophysiology lab and in conducting and interpreting specialized testing such as electromyography, nerve conduction tests, visual evoked potentials , somato sensory evoked potentials and electro encephalograms which are used to diagnose a wide range of neurological disorders.
In the last 3 years Dr Vivek has established a specialized neuro-rehab center in India offering comprehensive neuro rehabilitation. He also ran outreach clinics which enabled people to have access to specialized neurological consultations.
Dr Vivek was part of a neurology training programme and has helped train residents pursuing a specialization in neurology. He is also a thesis supervisor.
Dr Vivek has several publications in international journals to his credit.
- Member of Bangalore Neurology Society
- Member of Indian Academy of Neurology
- Member of World Stroke Organization
Invited as Guest Speaker in:
- 2021 Indian National Stroke Conference
- 2019 Bangalore Neuro- Education Trust Symposium
- 2012-Consultant Neurologist, Department of neurology, Narayana Hrudayalaya hospitals- Bangalore.
- 2008 -Assistant Professor, department of general medicine, Pondicherry institute of medical sciences
- 2006- 2008 -Consultant Physician, Ellen Thoburn Cowen Memorial Methodist Hospital, Kolar, Karnataka.
- 2002-Resident Medical Officer, Mar Thoma Mission, hospital Hosakote, Karnakata.
- 2001 - 2002Resident Medical Officer, Ellen Thoburn Cowen Memorial Methodist Hospital, Kolar, Karnataka.
- 2000-Resident Medical Officer, Methodist Hospital, Nadiad, Gujarat.
- 1999- Internship, Christian Medical College, Ludhiana.
- D.N.B Neurology, Apollo Hospital, Chennai 2009-2011.
- MD Internal Medicine C.M.C., Ludhiana 2003-2006
- M.B.B.S, C.M.C., Ludhiana 1994-1999.
- Neuro critical care
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Movement disorders
- Neuro rehabilitation
- Kulkarni A, Philip VJ
- Cryptococcal Postinfectious Inflammatory Response Syndrome in an Immunocompetent Host. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2019 Jul-Sep;22(3):322-324
- Alexander LM, Philip VJ, Gosar A.
- Ischemic polyradiculoneuropathy with an aortic aneurysm masquerading Guillain–Barré syndrome. Neurol India. 2018 66:1189-90.
- Udaya SC, Chauhan BN, Philip VJ. Bright splenium of a psychotic mind. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2015 Jan-Mar;18(1):80-83
- Chauhan B, Philip VJ, Shankar UC. Late onset reversible cortical blindness following electrocution. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015 Dec;139:311-3
- Trained reporting EEGs and evoked potentials, performing nerve conduction studies, needle EMG studies and Botulinum toxin injection.
- Involved in more than 1,000 electrophysiology procedures.