Dr Sumana Pallegar is a Consultant Neurosurgeon at Health City Cayman Islands and has more than 8 years’ experience as a Consultant Neurosurgeon, with primary interest in Epilepsy surgery, Brain tumors, and Functional neurosurgery.
As an accomplished neurosurgeon, Dr Sumana has performed over 1,600 surgeries independently, including more than 400 cranial trauma surgeries, 300 Chronic Subdural Hematoma Evacuations (a procedure to remove pooling of the blood on the brain), 170 ventriculo-peritoneal shunts(a procedure to drain extra fluid from the brain), 250 stereotactic procedures, operating on 100 cranial tumors and 30 spinal tumors, as well as 135 epilepsy surgeries, 25 deep brain stimulation surgeries, and 260 degenerative spine surgeries. He has also assisted more than 3000 cranial and spine surgeries including vascular surgeries, skull base surgeries, tumors surgeries, endoscopic surgeries, epilepsy surgery and functional neurosurgery
Dr Sumana has an interest in developing a comprehensive neurosurgery department which includes General Neurosurgery, Brain tumors, Comprehensive Trauma Centre, including Spine, Pediatric and Adult Epilepsy and Functional Neurosurgery Program.
He gained his Diplomate of National Board (DNB) in Neurosurgery in 2013, having previously earned his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) form Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College – Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences in Bangalore in 2003.
He has also benefited from the experience of a Fellowship in Epilepsy Surgery and Functional Neurosurgery at the Amrita Institute of Medical sciences and Amrita Advanced Centre for Epilepsy in Kochi, in southwest India's coastal Kerala state; an Observership in Functional Neurosurgery and Brain Volumetry in Edmonton, Canada, and a Clinical Neurophysiology, EEG and Epilepsy Course, at Cleveland Clinic in the USA.
- Pre-University Course (PUC) - S. Nijalingappa College, Pre-University Board, Karnataka (1998)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) - Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore (2003)
- Diplomate National Board (DNB) – National Board of Examinations, India (2013)
- Fellowship in Epilepsy Surgery and Functional Neurosurgery (2019)
- AIMS Micro-Neurosurgical Workshop, Delhi (2008)
- VHS Micro-Neurosurgical Workshop, Chennai (2010)
- MIDAS Hands On Workshop – BASECOM 2010, Trivandrum
- Functional and DBS training, Brain Volumetry Techniques, University of Alberta, Canada (2017)
- Over 1,600 surgeries independently:
- Over 400 cranial trauma surgeries
- 300 Chronic Subdural Hematoma Evacuations
- 170 ventriculo-peritoneal shunts
- 250 stereotactic procedures
- 100 cranial tumors
- 30 spinal tumors
- 135 epilepsy surgeries
- 25 deep brain stimulation surgeries
- 260 degenerative spine surgeries