Dr. Smita Almeida is a consultant in the Department of Anesthesia and Intensive care in Health City Cayman Islands. With over 10 years of experience in her speciality, she is drive by the passion to provide her patients a safe, comfortable and pain free experience, as they sail through their surgeries at Health City.
Dr. Smita is a graduate of Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, India. An alumnus of the prestigious St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India, for her post-graduation, she served as faculty in St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences (a 1000 bedded multi speciality hospital) before joining the Narayana group of Hospitals. Thus she has the advantage of having worked in state of the art facilities, both driven by the core philosophy of compassionate care.
She also has the experience of serving as an anesthesiologist at the Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, an autonomous institute in Karnataka, India, which serves solely the pediatric population, catering to their surgical and medical needs. She is BLS, ACLS & PALS Certified and was involved in ACLS training of medical personnel at St. John's Medical College Hospital.
- Anesthetic management of an infant with a single ventricle for meningomyelocoele repair—Kisacon, AIMS October 2004, B.G. Nagar, Man
- Anesthetic management of pediatric laparoscopies-our institution’s experience.ISACON-2004, 52nd Annual National Conference of the Indian Society of Anesthesiologists,Bhopal, India
- Comparative analysis of variable doses of rocuronium , with TOF monitoring, for favourablityof intubation. ISA, 27th November 2010, Bangalore, India
- Investigator in " Association between postoperative troponin levels and 30 day mortalityamong patients undergoing non cardiac surgery" JAMA, June 6, 2012- vol307 no.21"Effect of intravenous lidocaine, intravenous esmolol and intravenous clonidine onhaemodynamic responses to laryngoscopy and orotracheal intubation in normotensivepatients" : a double blinded, comparative study. Journal of evolution of Medical and DentalSciences2014; vol 03, Issue 02, Jan 13; pages 479-487/1853/ DOI: 10.14260
- Fellowship in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management Aesculap Academy, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, India, Feb 2013
- MD (Doctor of Medicine) in Anesthesiology St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, India
- Regional Anesthesia
- Ultrasound guided upper and lower limb nerve blocks
- Pediatric Anesthesia
- Anesthesia for patients with burns (which was the topic of her thesis)
- Life member, Indian Society of Anesthesiologist, Bangalore City, Karnataka, India