Consultant Neurologist and Interventional Neurologist
Dr. Romnesh de Souza is a consultant in the Neurology Department at Health City Cayman Islands. He joins us after a five year tenure at Narayana Health City Bangalore and specializes in interventional neurology and the treatment of acute ischemic stroke, neuromuscular disorders, and neuro critical care.
He completed his speciality training in Neurology following which he has done a fellowship in Stroke and Interventional Neurology. He has worked in many of the best hospitals in India, including Dr DY Patil Hospital and Research Center, Hinduja Hospital Mumbai and Jaslok Hospital and Research Center in Mumbai.
During his tenure at at Narayana Health City Bangalore, Dr. Romnesh was involved in the care of various patients having neurological disorders such as Migraines, Epilepsy, Peripheral Neuropathies, Stroke patients requiring rehabilitation, patients with Myasthenia Gravis, Multiple Sclerosis and Movement Disorders. He also managed neurology emergencies such as Strokes, Status Epilepticus and Guillan Barre Syndrome. He has been involved in over 700 neuro interventional and diagnostic procedures such as carotid artery stenting, coiling for intracranial aneurysms, intracranial stenting, embolisation for intracranial and spinal vascular malformations and endovascular treatment in acute ischemic stroke.
He has several publications in both national and international Journals and has taken active participation at several international level conferences.
Memberships and Associations:
- Member of Indian Academy of Neurology
- Member of Indian Stroke Association
- Member of World Stroke Organisation
- Member of the American Academy of Neurology
- Member of Society of Neurointerventional Surgery
- Member of Society of Neurovascular Interventions
- Member of Society of Therapeutic Neurointerventions
- Member of Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology
- D.N.B Thesis – Outcome of Acute Ischemic Stroke in a tertiary Care Center in Bangalore.
- M.D Thesis – ECG Changes in Stroke.
- Platform presentation at the Bangalore Neurological Society, on Comparison of Intravenous Versus Endovascular Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Crossover balloon technique for vertebral artery thrombus: a novel method Vikram Huded, Ratnavalli Ellajosyula, Romnesh de Souza, Syed Moeed Zafer, BMJ Case Reports 2013
- Mechanical Thrombectomy Using Solitaire in a 6-Year-Old Child. Huded, V., Kamath, V., Chauhan, B., de Souza, R., Nair, R., Sapare, A., & Kekatpure, M. (2015). Journal of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, 8(2), 13–16.
- Thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke: Experience from a tertiary care centre in India, Vikram Huded, Romnesh De Souza, Rajesh Karalumangala Nagarajaiah, Syed Moeed Zafer, JNRP, Original Article, Year 2014, Vol 5, Issue 1, Pg 25-30.
- Endovascular treatment of vein of Galen dural arteriovenous fistula presenting as dementia.Huded, V., Moeed, S. Z., Desouza, R., Tripathi, R., & Nair, R. (2014). Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, 17(4), 451–454.
- “Missing clot” during mechanical thrombectomy in acute stroke using Solitaire stent retrieval system Vikram Huded, Vivek Nambiar, Romnesh De Souza, Vikram Bohra, and Ritesh Ramankutty, Anals of Indian Academy of Neurology, 2016 Apr-Jun; 19(2): 279–280.
- Endovascular treatment of acute ischemic stroke: an Indian experience from a tertiary care center. Huded V1, Nair RR, de Souza R, Vyas DD.Neurol India. 2014 May-Jun;62(3):276-9
- Stroke in Young—Dilative Arteriopathy: A Clue to Late-Onset Pompe's Disease? Vi
kram Huded, MD, Vikram Bohra, DM, Jignesh Prajapati, MD, Romnesh DeSouza, DNB, Ritesh Ramankutty, DM. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, April 2016 Volume 25, Issue 4, Pages e50–e52
- ADAPT for emergent stroke treatment: Newer Technique, Indian Expierence. Neurol India 2016 Jul-Aug; 64(4):796-8 Vikram Huded, Vikram Bohra, Romnesh deSouza, Ritesh Nair
Education & Fellowships
- Fellowship, Stroke and Interventional Neurology, Narayana Health City Bangalore
- DNB Neurology (2014): Narayana Hrudayalaya Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore
- M.D. Internal Medicine (2009): Dr DY Patil Hospital and Research Center, Mumbai
- M.B.B.S (2004): Dr DY Patil Hospital and Research Center, Mumbai
Special Areas of Interests
- Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Neuro Muscular Disorders
- Neuro critical care
- Movement disorders
- Interventional Neurology