Dr. Rangarajan is our lead Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon at Health City Cayman Islands. He has extensive experience treating a variety of gastrointestinal issues, including obesity, and specializes in advanced laparoscopic and single incision surgeries. Dr. Rangarajan is also a professor of surgery and has published 85 papers in international journals as well as authored chapters in text books on minimally invasive surgery.
At Health City, Dr Rangarajan will provide consultations for the diagnosis and treatment of various gastrointestinal issues. He also looks forward to furthering his passion of teaching through the hospital's continued partnerships with premier academic institutions.
Dr Rangarajan comes to Health City Cayman Islands with over 20 years of experience in General Surgery and 16 years of experience in Laparoscopic Surgery. He has extensive training in major and minor Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Procedures including Bariatric Surgery, Laparoscopic Benign Gynecological Procedures and Hernia repair.
In addition to his clinical experience, Dr. Rangarajan has pursued academic research on the latest surgical advancements and techniques in laparoscopy.His new technique of Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery in gynecology was presented in various forums including the SLS Conference held at Boston 2008, and has won him the ‘Best Poster Award’ at the Asia-Pacific Congress in 2014. He has also taught / organized and participated in numerous laparoscopy-training courses and workshops.
At Kovai Medical Center and Hospital (India), Dr. Rangarajan was the Centre Coordinator of a Multi-institute Prospective Study on Intra-abdominal Infections (CIAOW Study) conducted by the European Working Group on intra-abdominal infections under the auspices of World Society of Emergency Surgery.
Life Member of the Indian Medical Association (IMA)
Life Member of the Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
Life Member of the Indian Red Cross Society
Life Member of the Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India (AMASI)
Member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
Member of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons (SLS)
Member of the Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia (ELSA)
Member, International Institute of Endoscopic Surgery, Brazil
Member, Indo-British Health Initiative (IBHA)
Faculty in ‘Laparoscopy Speciality’ at WebmedCentral
Co-author of two academic textbooks and numerous other academic publications
- Reviewer for 20 international journals
- Editorial Board Member:1. World Journal of Surgical Procedures2. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy3. World Journal of Clinical Cases4. Dataset Papers in Medicine (Surgery section)5. Frontiers in Surgery (Switzerland)
MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) 1992, Madras Medical College, Madras University
MS (General Surgery) 1995, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore University
DipMIS (Laparoscopic Surgery) 2002, Universite de Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), 2007, United States
Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (FCRS), 2012, United Kingdom
Fellow of the International Medical Sciences Academy (FIMSA)
Fellow of World Association of Laparoscopy Surgeons (WALS)
- Laparoscopic surgery including major and minor gastrointestinal procedures and bariatric surgery (sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass)
- Laparoscopic benign gynecological procedures and benign pancreatic surgery
- Single incision surgery for ventral hernia repair, hysterectomy, oophorectomy, tubectomy, ectopic pregnancy and ovarian cystectomy
- Laparoscopic Appendectomy: 2000+
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: 1000+
- Laparoscopic Inguinal & Ventral Hernioplasty: 2500+
- Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernioplasty: 1500+
- Laparoscopic Bariatric Procedures: 500+
- Laparoscopic Gynecology Procedures: 1000+
- Laparoscopic Gynecology Procedures: 1500+