Dr. Meera Balraj is Health City Cayman Islands’ on-staff Psychiatrist. Dr Meera brings years of international experience in Psychiatry and supports the medical team. She has several years of experience treating psychiatric issues in medically ill patients and coordinates the Liaison Psychiatric Services here at Health City.
BackgroundDr Meera completed her post graduate studies in 1991, following which she worked as a faculty member in the Department of Psychiatry, at the St John’s Medical College Hospital in Bangalore, India where she had clinical as well as teaching responsibilities and gained experience in recognizing and treating psychiatric problems in the medically ill. Subsequently she initiated and developed Liaison Psychiatric services in 3 different general hospitals in South India,
Dr Meera has worked as a Consultant Psychiatrist in the National Health Service of the UK, with clinical and administrative responsibilities to the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) for General Adult Psychiatry in the South West Yorkshire Mental Health Trust; and has also had experience working across different parts of the UK including Cardiff, Coventry, and Staffordshire. She continues to be registered with the General Medical Council of the U.K. as a Specialist in General Adult Psychiatry.
She brings several years of experience working in a general hospital setting to Health City, where she practises liaison psychiatry, or the psychiatric care of patients presenting with medical illnesses such as obesity, sleep disorders,cancer, chronic pain,diabetes,dementia and other neurological conditions. She also attends to the care of psychiatric illnesses in patients who attend Health City, such as mood and anxiety disorders, disorders of attention and memory and psychotic illnesses. She has a special interest in treating women with mental health disorders.
She has worked for charitable organizations and served as Consultant Psychiatrist to a Rehabilitation Home for the homeless mentally ill while in India.In the Cayman Islands, Dr Meera serves as medical advisor to the board of ADACI, the Alzheimer's and Dementia Association of the Cayman Islands.
- Counselling and Communication in Psycho-oncology- an initiative for the training of trainers for the care of patients suffering from Cancer run by the CRC group Manchester, at NIMHANS, Bangalore
- Physician’s Training on the management and counselling of HIV/AIDS-an initiative run by the World Health organization, N.A.C.O. and C.M.A.I. for the training of trainers – New Delhi and Kampala, Uganda
- Community Response to HIV/AIDS-an initiative run by the UNAIDS, World Council of Churches and C.M.A.I. for the training of trainers – Geneva, Switzerland
- NHS International Fellowship for Consultant Psychiatrists, U.K. 2003-05
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, U.K. 2004
- Diplomate of the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India 1991
- Diploma in Psychological Medicine from the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, India 1987
- MBBS – Christian Medical College, Vellore, India 1985
- General Hospital (Liaison) Psychiatry
- Women’s issues
- Mood Disorders
- Spirituality and Psychiatry