Consultant in General and Colorectal SurgeryDr. Ernest brings 30 years of experience to his role as a Consultant in General and Colorectal Surgery at Health City Cayman Islands. He puts the care of his patients first and is compassionate from initial consult through procedure and after care.
Dr. Ernest has performed more than 15,000 procedures and/or surgeries throughout his career, including a wide range of upper and lower gastrointestinal cases. Over the last 14 years he has concentrated on colorectal surgery and is an expert in endoscopy and laparoscopic surgeries.
BackgroundAfter completing undergraduate medical training at the Christian Medical College in Vellore, India, Dr. Ernest Jehangir obtained his post graduate training in the UK at the Northern Regional Surgical Rotation in Newcastle upon Tyne. He subsequently practiced as General Surgeon and Urologist, Head of Surgery at the Holdsworth Memorial Hospital in Mysore, India
While working at the North Cumbria University Hospitals in the UK, Dr. Ernest was instrumental in introducing laparoscopic colorectal surgery and the Enhanced Recovery Program, and has one of the highest series of colonic stenting in the country. As an educator, Dr. Ernest has acted as a Surgical Tutor for the Royal College of Surgeons of England and has been a Post Graduate Clinical Tutor for 7 years.
Education & Fellowships
- M.B.B.S Christian Medical College, Vellore August 1985
- F.R.C.S. Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh January 1992
- CCST, entry to Specialist Register 2006
- Certificate in Clinical Education, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- Fast Track Recovery Programme- Newcastle, July 2005
- ATLS Revalidation, Dec 2006
- Diploma in Clinical Education
- Professor of Surgery at Farooquia Dental College
Special Areas of Interest
- Primary subspecialisation is Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic colorectal surgery
- GI therapeutic Endoscopy
- 4600 Gastroscopy Procedures
- 3930 Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- 4929 colonoscopy
- 30 ERCP- Diagnostic