Chief Orthopaedic Surgeon and Joint Replacement Surgeon
Dr. Alwin Almeida is the Chief Orthopaedic Surgeon and Joint Replacement Specialist at Health City Cayman Islands. Dr. Alwin also is responsible for our joint replacement program and sports injury clinic, and performs diagnostic operations and endoscopic treatments of various joint diseases.
Dr. Alwin brings 10 years of experience in arthroscopic procedures and joint replacements. He has performed more than 4,000 orthopaedic surgeries, including 600 joint replacement surgeries, 1,000 arthroscopies and 700 arthroscopic ligament reconstructions of the knee. He has a strong academic and research background, and has presented many of his published papers.
As an orthopaedist, Dr. Alwin is passionate about arthroscopy and joint replacements. He is expected to play a pivotal role in advancing Health City Cayman Islands’ state-of-the-art Orthopaedic Department. His extensive knowledge spans across the most innovative techniques such as computer navigation for joint replacements and Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACL) for cartilage injury treatment. Having an opportunity to be a part of a leading-edge, pioneering project such as Health City Cayman Islands, he brings a total commitment to excellence, as well as healing patients suffering from debilitating joint illnesses.
- More than 4000 successful surgeries to his credit including key-hole surgeries and complex primary, as well as revision, joint replacement surgeries
- Familiar with innovative techniques such as computer navigation for joint replacements and ACI (Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation) for treatment of cartilage injuries
- Fellowship in Arthroscopy 2006 - Kamineni Hospital, Hyderabad (through Indian Arthroscopy Society)
- Fellowship in Arthroplasty 2005-2006 - Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai, India
- MS (Orthopaedics) 2001-2004 - JJM Medical College, Davangere, (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences), India
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) 1995-2000 - St. John's Medical College, Bangalore University, India
- Joint replacements (knee/hip/shoulder)
- Sports medicine and arthroscopic surgeries (keyhole or minimally invasive surgeries of the knee and shoulder)
- Trauma and sports injuries
- 4,000 + surgeries
- 600 joint replacement surgeries
- 700 arthroscopic ligament reconstructions of the knee
- 1,000 arthroscopies