In 2014, more than 52,000 Canadians received non-emergency medical treatment outside Canada which was an increase from the estimated 41,838 who traveled abroad in 2013 (Fraser Institute - March 2015). As the Canadian population ages, rates of musculoskeletal disease are increasing, in turn increasing demand for orthopaedic surgeries. Unfortunately, this could mean even longer wait times for Canadian patients requiring orthopaedic surgeries.
Reasons why Canadians are choosing Health City Cayman Islands for Orthopaedic Surgery
- Short waiting periods and quick access to care
- Highly skilled and experienced medical team
- Excellent quality of care
- International accreditation by the Joint Commission
- Affordable out-of-country costs
- Direct flights from Canada
- Cayman Islands is a beautiful British Commonwealth Country voted the #1 Caribbean vacation destination by Trip Advisor in 2012, and the world’s friendliest place by Forbes
Health City Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports MedicineHealth City Cayman Islands’ Department of Orthopaedics consists of orthopaedic surgeons, sports medicine doctors, nurses, and physiotherapists who offer a range of orthopaedic services from complex joint replacements and reconstructions, arthroscopic surgeries and deformity corrections including:
- Total Knee Replacement
- Hip Replacements
- Arthroscopic Surgeries of the Knee, Shoulder, Ankle & Elbow
- Multi-ligament reconstruction
- Sports Injury – ACL, PCL Reconstructions, Meniscal Repaid, Rotator Cuff Repair, Total Shoulder & Reverse Shoulder Replacements
Health City Orthopaedic Surgeons and Sports Medicine Specialists
Dr. Alwin Almeida is the Chief Orthopaedic Surgeon and Joint Replacement Specialist at Health City Cayman Island. Dr. Almeidaalso is responsible for our joint replacement program and sports injury clinic, and performs diagnostic operations and endoscopic treatments of various joint disease. Dr. Almedia has performed more than 4000 successful surgeries including key-hole surgeries and complex primary, as well as revision, joint replacement surgeries using innovative techniques such as computer navigation for joint replacements and ACI (Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation) for treatment of cartilage injury.
Qualification and Education
- Fellowship in Arthroscopy 2006 - Kamineni Hospital, Hyderabad (through Indian Arthroscopy Society)
- Fellowship in Arthroplasty 2005-2006 - Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai, India
- MS (Orthopaedics) 2001-2004 - JJM Medical College, Davangere, (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences), India
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) 1995-2000 - St. John's Medical College, Bangalore University, India
Dr. Niranjan Nagaraja has 10 years of experience in Arthroscopic procedures and Joint replacements. He has performed more than 4000 successful orthopaedic surgeries, including 300 joint replacements, 1500 arthroscopies and 1000 arthroscopic ligament reconstructions of the knee. Dr. Niranjan is well versed with recent techniques such as Ligament repair/ reconstructions for sports injuries, Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACL) for cartilage injury, Cartilage Grafting, Meniscal repair, Labral repair and rotator cuff pathologies, Ankle arthroscopies, Joint replacements and complex injuries like Pelvi-acetabular fractures. He believes in the philosophy of excellence, affordability and accessibility for all and is committed to every one suffering from debilitating bone and joint illnesses.
Qualification and Education
- Basic Trauma Life Support course approved by Minnesota University, (2004) at MSRMC, Bangalore.
- Fellowship in Arthroscopy and Sports injuries (2009)– Global Hospital, Hyderabad (through Indian Arthroscopy Society)
- Fellowship in Arthroplasty (2012-2013)- HOSMAT Hospital, Bangalore, India
- D.N.B (Orthopaedics) 2005-2007 – City Hospital, Research and Diagnostic Centre, Mangalore, India
- D.Ortho (2002-2005): M.S.Ramaiah medical college, RGUHS University, Bangalore, India (He Secured First Rank at the State level)
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) 1995-2001 – Karnatak Institute of Medical Sciences, (KIMS) Hubli, Karnatak Univercity, Dharw