Thank you for contacting Health City Cayman Islands! We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Obesity increases the risk of chronic health conditions. Many people are turning towards bariatric surgery to help improve or resolve obesity-related conditions. Unfortunately, these options are not available to Canadians in a timely manner.
Reasons why Canadians are choosing Health City Cayman Islands for Bariatric Surgery
- Short waiting periods and quick access to care
- Highly skilled and experienced medical team
- Excellent quality of care
- International accreditation by the Joint Commission
- Affordable out-of-country costs
- Direct flights from Canada
- Cayman Islands is a beautiful British Commonwealth Country voted the #1 Caribbean vacation destination by Trip Advisor in 2012, and the world’s friendliest place by Forbes
Health City Bariatric Surgery
The bariatric surgery team at Health City Cayman Islands is committed to helping patients overcome chronic obesity and the many serious health risks it poses.
Health City Cayman Islands follows the WHO Guidelines to determine who qualifies for surgery, including:
- BMI ≥ 40, or more than 100 pounds overweight.
- BMI ≥35 and at least one or more obesity-related co-morbidities such as type II diabetes (T2DM), hypertension, sleep apnea and other respiratory disorders, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, lipid abnormalities, gastrointestinal disorders, or heart disease.
- Inability to achieve a healthy weight loss sustained for a period of time with prior weight loss efforts.
- Failure of all other physician-supervised weight loss treatment options.
Types of Bariatric Procedures
The most common bariatric surgery procedures are Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy. At Health City Cayman Islands, the surgeons can perform these laparoscopically, which means making one or several very small incisions in the abdomen, rather than a major surgical incision. Utilizing minimally invasive surgical techniques leads to faster recovery and less risk of complications for patients. Health City Cayman Islands also provides a non-surgical option known as a gastric balloon procedure where an inflatable medical device is temporarily placed into the patient’s stomach to reduce weight.
Health City Gastrointestinal Surgeons
Dr. Rangarajan is our lead Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon at Health City Cayman Islands. He has over 20 years of experience in General Surgery and 16 years of experience in Laparoscopic Surgery. He has extensive experience treating a variety of gastrointestinal issues, including obesity, and specializes in advanced laparoscopic and single incision surgeries. Dr. Rangarajan is also a professor of surgery and has published 85 papers in international journals as well as authored chapters in text books on minimally invasive surgery.
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) 1992, Madras Medical College, Madras University
- MS (General Surgery) 1995, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore University
- DipMIS (Laparoscopic Surgery) 2002, Universite de Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), 2007, United States
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (FCRS), 2012, United Kingdom
- Fellow of the International Medical Sciences Academy (FIMSA)
- Fellow of World Association of Laparoscopy Surgeons (WALS)
Dr. Ernest brings 30 years of experience to his role as a Consultant in General and Colorectal Surgery at Health City Cayman Islands. He puts the care of his patients first and is compassionate from initial consult through procedure and after care. Dr. Ernest has performed more than 15,000 procedures and/or surgeries throughout his career, including a wide range of upper and lower gastrointestinal cases. Dr. Ernest performs a gastric balloon non-surgical procedure where an inflatable medical device is temporarily placed into the stomach to reduce weight.
- B.B.S Christian Medical College, Vellore August 1985
- R.C.S. Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh January 1992
- CCST, entry to Specialist Register 2006
- Certificate in Clinical Education, University of Newcastle upon Tyne