Thank you for contacting Health City Cayman Islands! We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Helping Adults Lose Weight and Lead Healthier Lives
The bariatric surgery team at Health City Cayman Islands is committed to helping patients overcome chronic obesity and the many serious health risks it poses. Your initial consultation is an introductory meeting in which our experienced bariatric surgeons will answer all of your medical and personal questions. We provide an individualized, patient-focused bariatric surgery program that large general hospitals cannot offer, utilising the latest minimally invasive techniques. We have helped many patients lose weight, improve their nutrition, and lead healthier, happier lives.
Bariatric surgical procedures cause weight loss by:
- Restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold
- Causing mal-absorption of nutrients
- Utilising a combination of both food restriction and mal-absorption
- Triggering a change in a key gastrointestinal hormone
Bariatric Surgery Requirements
Body mass index (BMI) is a simple index of weight-for-height that is commonly used to classify adults as overweight or obese. BMI is as a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of his height in meters (kg/m2). Although obesity is classified as a BMI greater than or equal to 30, there are specific qualifications one must meet to be considered a candidate for bariatric surgery, including:
- BMI ≥ 40, or more than 100 pounds overweight for men and 80 pounds for women.
- BMI ≥35 and at least two obesity-related co-morbidities such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnoea or other respiratory disorders, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, lipid abnormalities, gastrointestinal disorders, or heart disease.
- Inability to achieve and maintain a healthy weight through prior weight loss efforts.
- Failure of all other physician-supervised weight loss treatment options.
Types of Procedures
The most common bariatric surgery procedures are Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, adjustable gastric band, and sleeve gastrectomy. At Health City Cayman Islands, our surgeons can perform these laparoscopically, which means making one or several very small incisions in the abdomen, rather than a major surgical incision. Utilizing minimally invasive surgical techniques leads to faster recovery and less risk of complications for our patients.
A Viable and Effective Treatment Option
As with all major surgeries, bariatric procedures involve the risk of serious complications, but in carefully selected, morbidly-obese patients, they are considered a very effective treatment option. The many health risks associated with morbid obesity often far outweigh the small chance of a negative surgical outcome. Recent studies have demonstrated that up to 80% of excess body weight can be lost, and 95% of co-morbidities (diseases related to obesity) can be controlled or reversed. Long-term success requires lifelong compliance of dietary habits, nutritional guidelines, and exercise – working with a multidisciplinary bariatric team.
Minimally-Invasive Weight Loss Surgery Benefits
- Small incisions (most less than 1/2 inch)
- Shorter hospital stay of 2 to 3 days
- Return to work in 2 to 3 weeks
- Decreased risk of infection
- Less postsurgical pain
- Decreased risk of hernias