Health City Cayman Islands offers world-class, affordable healthcare services to international, regional, and local patients at its state-of-the-art tertiary care hospital. In April 2015, a little more than a year after we opened, our facility earned the prestigious Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission International (JCI) and became a JCI-accredited hospital. We are proud to have met the stringent accreditation standards set forth by JCI, and to be the largest JCI-accredited hospital in the Caribbean to receive this accreditation.
JCI is the international arm of The Joint Commission, the leading healthcare accreditor in the U.S. JCI is the worldwide leader in accrediting the international quality of healthcare, and as such, has accredited and certified more than 725 public and private health care organizations in 62 countries, since awarding its first hospital accreditation in 1999.
Being a JCI-accredited hospital is based in part on the clinical skill of our physicians and surgeons who deliver positive patient outcomes in highly complex cases. Their documented infection rate for coronary artery bypass graft procedures is only 1.5%, which equals or improves on the rate at accredited U.S. hospitals. Incidences of bedsores after cardiac surgery are between 8% and 40% percent globally, but we are proud to say that our surgeons and physicians have reported a near-perfect rate of zero, over the last four years.
The physicians and surgeons at Health City Cayman Islands adhere to the highest standards of medicine, delivering patient-focused, compassionate care. As a result of their stellar individual medical practices, our physicians have been recognized with a long list of achievements and international awards of excellence.
Health City Physicians and Surgeons: Professional Achievements and Contributions
Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
Founder, Chairman and Director
- Performed first open-heart surgery in the world using a microchip camera to close a hole in the heart
- Conducted the first surgery in India using blood vessels of the stomach to bypass blocked arteries of the heart
- Performed the first dynamic cardiomyoplasty procedure in Asia
- The first cardiac surgeon to use an artificial heart in India
- Performed more than 13,000 operations (5,000 on children)
- Recipient of The Economist Innovation Award for lowering mass-based healthcare costs
Dr. Ravi Kishore Amancharla
Chief Interventional Cardiologist and Electrophysiologist
Has performed 17,000 procedures, including:
- 7,000 electrophysiology studies (EPS) and radiofrequency ablation (RFA)
- 10,000+ interventional procedures including percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) and EPS
- Performed the first RFA for implantable cardioverter-defibrillator implant in Karnataka in 1997
- Performed the first RFA for heart arrhythmias in south India in 1995
- Established the first dedicated electrophysiology unit in Hyderabad-Medicity Hospital in 1995
- Developed the CAFE Study (heart stroke prevention) for the Cayman Islands and the Caribbean Region
Dr. Meera Balraj
- Developing the emerging field of psychocardiology - the psychiatric care of patients presenting with cardiac disease.
Health City Cayman Islands Physicians’ Professional Affiliations
Health City Cayman Islands cardiac healthcare team are American Heart Association Certified Providers of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Basic Life Support (BLS), and Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). Recognizing the importance of continuing education and learning, our physicians are members of many prestigious professional medical organizations, including:
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Endocrine Society
- European Respiratory Society
- European College of Radiology
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Society of India
- Indian Medical Association
- Indian Radiology Imaging Association
- Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Indian Society for Paediatric and Adolescent Endocrinology
- Korean Society of Radiology
- National College of Chest Physicians, India
Please call us at 1 (345) 640-4040 or fill out our simple contact form to find out more about our world-class, JCI-accredited facility and expert team of healthcare professionals.